Friday, May 12, 2006

Camp Persuasion

Nature Boy has gone off to gather kindling for a fire, so I'm going to write a few words in our digital diary. Normally I'm uploading pix from the camera to the blog, but tonight we're camped out and nowhere near a library or cyber-cafe. So, no pictures. Tonight we're at Merchants Millpond State Park, near Sunbury, NC. We'll cross into Virgina (!) tomorrow, with over 900 miles under our jerseys. I am slowly bringing Matthew around to the joys of camping, but it's not easy. He equates comfort with a bedframe, not an air mattress. Here's the argument that I've been using lately--it seems to have worked, at least for the short term. If you get a hotel room, you're getting whatever the management has to offer. On the other hand, if you camp, you get your own bed, your own pillow, your own towel and a short hike to the shower and toilet. C'mon, it's a beautiful night and the walk will be good for you. What's not to love about camping? I think the two things that won him over this week were 1) stopping at a beachside KOA. Once the wind died down, we could hear the ocean from inside the tent. And 2) being able to eat. I honestly think that he wasn't sure he'd be able to get food while in camp! Well, I'm no Becky Broberg when it comes to camp food, but I can heat up a can of chili con carne faster than he can build a campfire. And tonight--oh, tonight we feast. We picked up a care package from the South Millls PO today from Matthew's folks, Suzi and Jim, which included a package of Honey-Lime Chicken & Rice. Combine that with the package of fudge brownie mix they sent in the last care package, and we're done! Before I start dinner, though, I've got to take a shower. Race you to the bath house!