Monday, April 24, 2006

Day 2 (Part 2)

Turns out that our ride today was only about 33 miles, not 40, so we were within 10 miles of the park by noon. As we came into Bostwick (home of the cotton gin festival), we thought we should stop to buy food for the nights dinner. Seeing that most of thr buildings in the "historic district" were boarded up, I started to wonder. Then I remembered that we were in a small town in Georgia on a Sunday, and started to wonder if anything would be open. We came on thje "Oh Taste and See" cafe right in downtown -- and it was definitely open for business. Good southern downhome food hit the spot. And, we took an extra plate of roast beef to have for dinner in camp. The last 10 miles of the day had a few challenging hills, and we ended up at Hard Labor Creek State Park trading post around 2pm. Unlike last night, we had our pick of campsites. We sat on the porch of the post until Holly arrived to collect Tim, and then said our goodbyes. Tim -- thanks again for hanging with us. We'll see both you and Holly soon. It still doesn't seem quite real -- we have to keep reminding each other of what we're doing. A big milestone for Matthew will be the day we leave off using his route sheets, and start to rely on the Adventure Cycling maps. I'm not sure when it will start to feel real to me. Maybe when it's all over?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A CARE package has been sent to Zip code 28428. We were afraid you might be at 29922 on a weekend and wouldn't want to wait around.

Mom loved the image of the horses pacing you as you rode by their pasture.

Love, Dad

minor2nd said...

Hey Nancy and Matthew, myself and many GTC members are watching this blog and living vicariously through you. I wish you the best of luck and hope for many wonderful and exciting moments on your epic cycling adventure. You are real cycling heros!

Dan Coy
USA Cycling Coach
Gwinnett Touring Club, GTC President

Anonymous said...

Well, the images of horses was true, however in Hard Labor State Park, a man on a horse "appeared" out of the bushes and into the road, I had to nearly slam on the brakes. Matthew missed that adventure since he was so far behind my dust :)
I had a great two days riding with you and it was a wonderful start, I just wish I could had traveled longer, but my day job gets in the way.
Enjoy the east coast in the next month.
I am thinking of biking as I sit on my conference calls staring (glazed over)at I-285 in Vinings.

Tim